Monday, August 31, 2009

My Man(tis)...




...is a girl. I took delivery today of a remarkable piece of metal sculpture by my frien (the d is missing, because there is no "end" in friend) and favorite artist, Dion Wright. I love bugs. (Bug imagery, that is, not real bugs). The praying mantis is my favorite, though dragonflies are a close second.

Once I bought the "pod of mantis hatchlings" (called an ootheca) at the hardware store that hatches as many as 200 babies for garden pest control purposes. Seconds after they emerge, not only do they resemble the full grown adult in a miniature size, they are fearlessly curious, and wildly animated. They stare you down, first seeming to size you up for friendship, then trying to appear as menacing, capable and self-sufficient as possible. They are amazing!



Though I love every piece of Dion's art (which now totals six pieces, including Zot!) that I have in my home, I must admit that when I walked up on this piece, it was love at first sight. I'm honored to have her. For me, Dion is a legendary artist, author and intellect, and above all, a friend.

This afternoon I met Dion at his booth at the Sawdust Festival (a show he founded and has done for 50 years and where, as an exhibiting artist, I first met him in 1993). Here he is with his Mantis, which he created in 1973. She comes with history and a previous owner. For one reason or another, Dion regained custody and I was thrilled to hear it!


 Dion Wright - Laguna Beach - August 31, 2009

This piece validates my opinion that you can't really own art. You can only choose to share space with it while you're here and/or choose to let someone else enjoy it before (or after) you're gone. You've got an expiration date, and generally art does not (excluding ice and/or cheese sculptures).

Except in the case of art for investment's sake, any money that's changed hands in the transfer of art (that makes you think you own it) is really just rent, unless you intend to be buried with it. How long you live and how happy it makes you determines how good a deal it was. Dion's art is always a very good deal. If I keeled over today, my spirit and surroundings have been enriched by his work far beyond any amount of cash that was traded for the privilege of having it.



"My" Dragonfly - by Dion Wright 2004
(Anatomically accurate wing pattern...incredible!)

Good art manages to make an impact on others, while layering on a life and history of its own as it passes from the hands of its creator to its admirers (and sometimes back again). Though I didn't know the previous owner of "my" Mantis, the piece links us, and I respect that connection.

So, welcome home! We may name her Mantilda (my daughter's suggestion). I like it. I know the mantis won't mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many thanks.

Alison Neville said...

"You can only choose to share space with it while you're here and/or choose to let someone else enjoy it before (or after) you're gone. You've got an expiration date, and generally art does not (excluding ice and/or cheese sculptures)." ~ love this

Alien Brain said...

Thank you Alison, I haven't visited this blog in so long that I'm just now seeing your comment, and I appreciate that you came to read and posted your nice words. xo