Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tiptoed into Twitter

What is Twitter anyway? It seems that the spectrum of its uses is endless (or so the media claims). From use as a professional networking tool, to a marketing tool, to a strategy used by the famous to void or circumvent the rumors of the paparazzi and entertainment media.

I decide to sign up and see if anyone says anything of interest. My guess is it's just a tool to blurt out your stream of conciousness in real time, except that the audience is vast.

Who knows how long it will take to become engaged. I sign up, download Tweetie to my phone and look at the recommended Twits to "follow". One of them is the actor who plays Dwight Schrute from The Office, one of about four or five TV shows that I actually enjoy and Tivo.

So, Rainn Wilson is a Twitter-er? That's encouraging. He's smart and funny. I check out his recent contributions:

rainnwilson I had a dream that two of my fingers shrivelled down to nubs and then i shat a giant olive the size of a mango and no doctor would call me. about 21 hours ago from Tweetie

rainnwilson Just passed an ancient albino man wearing a pirate hat driving an AMC Rambler - bumper sticker 'FDA, #1 hazard to America's health'. about 10 hours ago from Tweetie

Uh oh. I didn't expect that. While it's not quite information that is pertinent to my day, I'm already laughing. Those were his two most recent tweets! "...nubs...no doctor would call me...albino man...pirate hat..."? I'm caught off guard...so few words made such a big visual impact, which works on me every time. Plus, I've had my share of Ramblers. My stream of conciousness theory seems correct. No need to look further.

After five minutes total, I'm out. Didn't take as long as I thought to figure it out. I see the appeal. You get a real time feel for people you don't ordinarily have easy access to. Low overhead, too. A mini diversion that has potential to inform, excite, or delight.

I may have to "follow" him (his tweets will arrive as a text message on my phone). If I don't, at the very least, I'll be wondering what I'm missing...