Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday Theology

Started our morning walk at 5:15 a.m. No one else is up but the fishermen on the Green Pier and the night herons. Olive gallops around off-leash in the cool air, and we head out toward Descanso Beach.



We're greeted by a few neighbors also walking out to Descanso Beach to attend the Easter "Sonrise" Services. More people than we ever see at this time of day are trickling out into the fresh morning air and heading for Descanso. Father Paul buzzes by in his golf cart, headed that way too, to prepare for the service.

We alter our route, since Scott's status as "militant atheist" (my terminology, I also like to say he's got "religious Tourette's") has him in imminent danger of spontaneous combustion when approaching a place of worship. I like to do what I can to protect our faith-based friends from undue exposure to Scott's opinions on important days. We veer off-course to avoid any potential calamity.

Because of Scott's strong opinions, people are sometimes curious about my own spiritual beliefs. I generally steer clear of discussions of faith, it's such a personal matter. I don't resist it, however, when people tell me I exhibit the characteristics of a humanist, which I've heard a few times over the years.

It's not quite right, but it's close enough to allow some closure for the inquiring mind. People like labels that are relatable and retellable. The truth is, I'm fine with whatever beliefs and experiences make you feel happy and connected to what you find spiritually fulfilling. For some people I know, spiritual fulfillment can be attained through simple exposure to puppy breath, favorite music, a rainbow, a sunset, or the laughter of a loved one...Oh, I guess that person would be me.

Scott doesn't "do" religious holidays. He doesn't "do eating holidays" either, so I'm back on the boat to the mainland this morning to enjoy a delicious brunch and probably some Scrabble with friends and family at Bev's by 1pm. I'll fix him his favorite waffle breakfast before I go. I "do eating holidays" perhaps a little too well.

Marveled at the sunrise from this vantage point while waiting for the coffee shop to open:



Enjoy the day...

P.S. I won the Scrabble match, even though I was comatose from eating turkey and enough gravy to fill a moat (I grew up in a home that considered gravy a beverage, which explains a lot). As designated scorekeeper, I actually napped on the score pad "pillow" between plays, which became a joke because it seemed to help my game (my sister usually wins).

P.S.S. Thank you Alison, for noticing that Scott, Olive and I were making a mad dash through the streets of Avalon to try to make the boat in time. Without your offer of a ride and me shoving the big black dog, my bags and me into the cab of your truck, we wouldn't have made it! In a small town, sometimes two minutes and the kindness of a neighbor can make all the difference! Olive and I boarded the boat and it left seconds later, we cut it that close! We've all "missed the boat" at one point or another...and I'm thankful you helped me avoid that experience this time.
We made it!