Sunday, January 20, 2008

My Inner Circle - The Innerest

You are part of my inner circle, or you wouldn't be able to see this blog. But if you are someone who wonders where I am now and again, you may also wonder who really might know. I have disdain for the worry I cause people. The list of people who are consistently let in to my world (regardless of the mayhem that is underway) follows:
  1. Jillian
  2. Scott

My daughter's calls are answered without hesitation if I have my phone nearby, it has enough juice, it's on and if I can tell it's her. My husband enjoys the same experience. He and I are opposites in the phone arena. He still has the knee-jerk telephone etiquette of the 50s, where you break your toe getting out of the shower to answer the miraculous new convenience called the phone. I love that about him. He doesn't have Caller ID, and doesn't want it.

As high on the list as they are, they will also tell you that I am often unavailable to them too, since I sometimes turn off the ringer, forget to take my phone when I walk the dog, or leave it in the car when I'm on the mainland.

There they are...the innerest. The only way these two people can make a "circle" is if they hold hands and step back with bowed arms. Highly unlikely, since one is on the mainland and one is on the island, but they still qualify as the innerest.

From there, the hierarchy is very subjective depending on the caller's "maintenance" level, my history with the person, current projects and current preoccupation. Regardless of all of those things, if my anxiety level escalates the second I hear it ring, I will ignore it completely, and audibly blurt out "Ohhh no." I won't even care to see what the caller ID says or if a message was left. Peace and calm, so easily restored.

Since you are among the truly loved, you are actually more likely to lack convenient access than less familiar people in my life who actually require my input for one reason or another. I know you, and trust that we'll still know and love each other regardless of infrequent contact. I feel this way because you've already apparently accepted me as I am, and forgiven me again and again. (~thank you~)

No comments: